Friday, December 3, 2010

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
My Rating: 5/5 stars
What I liked about it:
-The Dystopian World of Panem
-The Action
-The Characters

My Review:

  The Hunger Games is about 16 year old Katniss Everdeen, who lives in the cruel nation of Panem, the country that has risen out of the ruins of North America. There are 12 districts in the country, and they are ruled by the harsh Capitol, which keeps the 12 districts in control by sending one boy and one girl to The Hunger Games, a game where 24 tributes must fight to the death. The Games are on live TV, and the last person standing wins. Katniss views it as her death sentence when she steps into The Hunger Games in place of her little sister. But survival for her is second nature, and without realising it, she becomes a big player in The Hunger Games. If she is to make it back home alive, she will have to choose between survival and humanity, and life against love.

   What a WOW of a book! I loved The Huger Games! It is one of my favourite books of all time, and I have read it over and over again. It changed how I viewed my life, and it knocked my socks off. This book holds a very special meaning to me.

     The Hunger Games is full of so much action. There is always so much going on, and this is by far on of my favourite action and survival books of all time. This book also has a mix of science fiction, and of course, dystopian. There was not one minute where I wasn't gasping or shuddering. It is jam-packed full of action, and I raced through the pages.

   I loved the setting of Panem. I loved the whole idea of it: the horrible Capitol, the dangers it brought, The Hunger Games, everything.  It was so intriguing, very well described, but harsh and cruel. The world that Katniss lives in is so vivid- you feel as if you are right there! It is very detailed and described quite well, and I got the sense of danger.

    What a beloved bumch of characters too! I loved all the characters. Katniss is one of the best female lead characters ever. I loved her voice in this novel, or the voice that Suzanne Collins has given her. She is so strong and powerful, and I loved the author for making her like that, that she isn't tripping over herself for a guy, and also because she is so strong and fast. I loved how she had a part of her full of fear and and questions, but she never let that show. You hear her wonder all about it, but she leads into things seeming confident, as if she is no piece in The Capital's Hunger Games. There aren't many characters that are focused on for the majority of the book, except Peeta. He is the boy tribute from District 12 that goes into The Games with Katniss.  I loved Peeta! (If anybody asks, I am totally Team Peeta!) He was such a great character- Katniss has her life to thank him for on so many different occasions, and he is so sweet, and perfect. and just......ohhhh! He has some of the wisest and most intelligible lines in the book. The other characters, such as the other tributes in The Hunger Games, Gale (Katniss's best friend in District 12), and Prim (Katniss's sister,) were all intriguing characters, and I look forward to discovering more about them. The Hunger Games has some of the best characters, and they each hold so much emotion and meaning, and are guiding Katniss on her way to sorting out herself and what they each mean to her.

    Overall, like I said in the beginning, The Hunger Games is just...........wow. There are not enough words in the world to describe The Hunger Games, so wow will have to do.

No comments: