Monday, January 3, 2011

Nightshade

Nightshade
Author: Andrea Cremer
Witches War #1
Pages: 454
My Rating: 5/5 stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

My Review:

 Ohhhhh.........THIS BOOK IS AWESOME! Sorry for that little outburst. I loved Nightshade, it flew right past the expectations I had set up for it, and is now one of my favorite books. I devoured it, and read it in less than a day.

 If you're thinking, shoot, another werewolf tale; don't. Nightshade is much more than that. There is wolves, the characters in this book can change into wolves, but there is so much more to the world than just wolves. Seriously, believe me. There's witches, prophecies, and lots of other awesome stuff. They were things that I was totally not expecting! I loved every bit of there world. And that brings us to another area of Nightshade: the plot.

 I really liked the plot in Nightshade! It is riveting, gripping, and I found myself scrambling between racing through the pages to figure everything out, or read slower and savour each sentence. But there is no way I can excercise self control with this book! The plot is full of twists and turns and shocks. I found the start very entertaining myself, but the heat of lots of action doesn't come until a little later. I liked it better that way, because it gave time to build up Calla's emotions and her relationships. So, if you're looking for a book with a strong plot, Nightshade is a great book.

 I liked Calla as a main character. I loved how she was so fierce, strong, and always seemed (at the least) a little bit in control. I loved how she was so tough, but clueless at the same time, in the love story part, anyways. She reminds me a little of Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games, if I say so myself. Besides her.......Ren and Shay. Wow. I loved both of them! They were both equally as hot and intriguing, and though it may seem obvious, there were certain points where I had no idea where Calla stood with both of them. I won't say exactly what happens for fear of spoilery, but I want more Ren....and more Shay. Team Ren, and Team Shay! As for the rest of the pack, I confess that I am a little bit on Team Ansel. I really liked him as a character, he fit right in. Bryn, Sabine, Mason, Fey, Dax, and more were all super awesome and fun to read about! I definitely want to hear where they end up in the sequel. I think there was not a character in this book that I didn't love, or wasn't interested in.

 The ending, *No Spoilers*, killed me. I did like how it ended, the last sentence I mean, is quite sweet, but there was such a cliffhanger there! There is still so much to find out! I know that the second book will have alot more of Calla's world, and what exaclty is going on where Nightshade left off.

 Overall, Nightshade is an awesome read, one of my favorites, with a blend of everything you want in a book-mysterey, romance, action, paranormal, and plenty more! Now, I am just living to read Wolfsbane, the sequel, coming in July. NIGHTSHADE ROCKED MY SOCKS OFF!

No comments: