Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1)

The Body Finder
Author: Kimberly Derting
The Body Finder #1
Pages: 336
My Rating: 5/5 stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 

 Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.
Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.
Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.

My Review:
 Oh, wow. I say the word wow a lot. But trust me, I always mean it. And The Body Finder deserves an extra special wow for being such an awesome book! It was scary and spooky..... and scary and spooky, as well as a great thrilling read and a cute lovestory. My stomach was doing flip-flops.

 The first thing I automatically noticed about The Body Finder was how well Kimberly Derting did at writing a strong, brave but honest heroine. I liked Violet a lot! She's going through so much besides being a normal teenger-with her ability to sense the people who have killed and who have been killed. She also has a major crush on her best friend Jay, but she doesn't want to ruin her friendship with him. There's a serial killer on the loose, and many girls have been killed. When Violet steps up to help find the killer, she becomes his prey herself. But Violet just grits her teeth and gets through everything. She's determined and brave on the outside, but Kimberly Derting let her inner side of fear and honesty show through. Violet was such a well layered character, and she's one of my favourites.

Besides her, she and Jay together were just too cute! I loved their romance in this book, there wasn't too much, and it was a very regular every day highschool romance. (And I mean that in a good way!)

 The plot in The Body Finder was exciting and thrilling. You really have no idea where everything is going. I was constantly creeped out and tempted to scream when I flipped the pages. I kept having to get up and check that the doors were locked and I was safe. How the plot came out of the story was definitely shocking, and I know I can rely on Kimberly to do an amazing job of creating a thickly-woven, scare-me-to-death plot in the sequel. I definitely left a light on the nights I was reading The Body Finder.

I loved how every few chapters, you'd get a brief glimpse of what the killer was doing and seeing. I think it was definitely the thing that scared me the most....I was thouroughly horrified.

Overall, The Body Finder is a book that you will love if you are looking for something that will give you a great scare and a rush of adrenaline. Prepare to be creeped out and sleeping with your teddybears. And maybe loving Violet and Jay. And, of course, losing sleep.






No comments: