Monday, March 7, 2011

Need by Carrie Jones

Need
Author: Carrie Jones
Pages: 306
Published by Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Need #1
My Rating: 4/5 stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.

She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.

In this creepy, compelling breakout novel, Carrie Jones delivers romance, suspense, and a creature you never thought you'd have to fear.


My Review:
 Need was a really gorgeous, wow of a novel that was great for reading late at night, under your warm covers. But I got chills...and plenty of lights had to stay on. This was a book with a cute romance and a dreamy guy, a pretty awesome plot, and a great, bone-chilling overall idea.

 I really loved the idea of the pixies. (Among other supernatural creatures in this book.....I promise there's no vampires, but I won't say anything for fear of spoilery.) This book was set in a small town in Maine, where it seems it's always cold, dreary and wintery, and it made a perfect backdrop for where creepy creatures lurk around, searching for their next victims. The setting and the supernatural "stuff" in this book swirled all together, and created a great book to read under your covers. I loved inhabiting in Zara's world in this book....mostly for the setting with the evil, dangerous, not to mention freaky pixies, but for another reason to.

The other reason? Well, that's because of the characters. I really enjoyed them....they were all well-thought out, and I loved them all. There's the creepy elements of some characters, the super dreamy Nick (who I have definitely developed a crush on,) and some others, such as Issie, who had me grinning and loving their spunk. I don't have much of an opinion on Zara....once or twice she started to bugg me. I enjoyed her narration most of the time, she had some pretty awesome quirks, and she made me smile too, but I really wished she'd stood up for herself and played the little bit of the strong girl here and there. I'm not saying all the time, she had a very weird but awesome personality, but I really wished she could've had more of a strong personality.

 Besides that, there was a pretty awesome plot. The author, Carrie Jones, did such a good job of making you focus on one thing, and then slam another sharp turn in the plot righ into your face. Oh, yes. There's more than a few exciting scenes....the whole book was full of suspense. I was always flipping pages.

Overall, Carrie Jones has made a pretty hardcore fan out of me....can't wait for book two!

No comments: