Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han


It's Not Summer Without You
Author: Jenny Han
Summer Trilogy #2
Pages: 288
Published by Simon&Schuster Books for Young Readers
My Rating: 4.5/5 stars
My Grade: B+

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 Can summer be truly summer without Cousins Beach?
It used to be that Belly counted the days until summer, until she was back at Cousins Beach with Conrad and Jeremiah. But not this year. Not after Susannah got sick again and Conrad stopped caring. Everything that was right and good has fallen apart, leaving Belly wishing summer would never come.
But when Jeremiah calls saying Conrad has disappeared, Belly knows what she must do to make things right again. And it can only happen back at the beach house, the three of them together, the way things used to be. If this summer really and truly is the last summer, it should end the way it started--at Cousins Beach.

My Review:
I was definitely impressed by It's Not Summer Without You! It was a lot better than the first. I felt like the characters were a lot stronger in this book, which was a big improvement, since some of the characters bugged me so much in the first. But this book is also full of wonderful emotion. Again, I was very impressed! I want more!

I really got lost in this book. I think I read it in a few hours. I'd look up after a few chapters and be surprised to see that much more time had passed than I thought it had!

Belly, as a character, was much more mature in this novel. I felt that in the last, she was very wishy-washy and selfish at times, but I loved her character in this one. She made good decisions and acted less stupidly....I might actually be warming up to her.

There's a love triangle in this trilogy and I'm definitely taking sides! Team Jeremiah! Jeremiah is the sweet guy, the nice one, and the guy of my dreams! Conrad may be cute, but I cannot stand him. I feel as if that my dislike for him was further expressed while reading this book. He seems like a moody jerk. Sorry to Conrad fans, but I hope Belly doesn't end up with him.

I absolutely loved Jenny Han's writing style. I loved it in the first, too, but I think it stood out a lot more in It's Not Summer Without You. I found that it really displayed and fleshed out the characters.....With amazing results! I also found that you could really feel the characters' emotions. Jenny Han's writing is lyrical and flowing.

I really enjoyed this book! A kaleidoscopic display of emotions! I am excited to get crackin' on We'll Always Have Summer, though I don't want these books to end!

No comments: