Saturday, August 20, 2011

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

Imaginary Girls

Imaginary Girls
Author: Nova Ren Suma
Published by Dutton Juvenile
Release Date: June 14th 2011
Pages: 348
Source: Library
My Rating: 2.5/5 Stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.

With palpable drama and delicious craft, Nova Ren Suma bursts onto the YA scene with the story that everyone will be talking about.


My Review:
When I first heard about Imaginary Girls, I thought it looked fantastic. The blow-me-away type of book. But when I finally sat down to read it, it just didn't speak to me. I was a little let down by this book. I have to admit, I did find it creepy at times, and I definitely got shivers, but my feelings are so mixed. There were a few things that I liked, but the things I didn't are just so much more major.

My number one issue with this book was that I felt as if it wasn't built on much. There just didn't seem to be enough elements to create a satisfying book. The few elements that were there either confused me in the way that I felt as if they were just imaginary metaphors (such as the people of Olive,) or they were completely boring. I found it hard to get through this book, and it did get to the point where I wasn't paying that much attention to it.

As for the characters....I was not into them. Chloe bored me to tears.....I can't explain exactly why...but I didn't connect with her (or any of the characters for that matter) at all. Not to mention Ruby and London, who just annoyed me, plain and simple. I was very frustrated with the characters. (Also, I know that this is really random, but the chapter names bugged me. What was up with that? Every chapter started with the first 1-4 words of said chapter. It bugged me so much.)

I will admit, I did not see the ending coming. I was quite surprised. It kinda jolted me out of a state of boredom. Definitely an unexpected ending. You could call it bittersweet. I also enjoyed Nova Ren Suma's writing. It flowed well, it was lyrical, and I think it definitely fit the creepiness that is this book.

I really did want to like this book more than I did. I know a lot of people have been talking about it, they too being really excited to read it, so I feel bad for not liking Imaginary Girls. But I do think it's one of those books that you have to form your own opinion on, though. So try it out for yourself.

No comments: