Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Bitter End by Jennifer Brown

Bitter End

Bitter End
Author: Jennifer Brown
Pages: 359
Published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: May 10th 2011
Source: Library
Other Books by Author: Hate List
My Rating: 4/5 Stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 When Alex falls for the charming new boy at school, Cole, a handsome, funny, sports star who adores her, she can't believe she's finally found her soul mate-someone who truly understands her and loves her for who she really is.
At first, Alex is blissfully happy. Sure, Cole seems a little jealous of her relationship with her best friends, Zack and Bethany, but what guy would want his girlfriend spending all of her time with another boy? But as the months pass, Alex can no longer ignore Cole's small put-downs, pinches, or increasingly violent threats. As Alex struggles to come to terms with the sweet boyfriend she fell in love with and the boyfriend whose "love" she no longer recognizes, she is forced to choose - between her "true love" and herself.

My Review:
Bitter End was an incredibly emotional read and a very realistic book. It's about a very important topic, and one definitely worth reading about. I adored Jennifer Brown's Hate List, though I am not sure which one I like more.

The characters in Bitter End were a breath of fresh air for me! Alex is such a relatable character, and I thought it was so painful watching her go through a really abusive relationship. I felt as if you really got in her head, which made it even more heartbreaking. Jennifer Brown certainly did a good job writing her as a character. I also loved Alex's best friends. I would sooooo date Zach if he was a real guy. He had me cracking up throughout the novel, and even though he jokes, you can tell he really cares about Alex.

Bitter End is about a very important topic that needs to be called to attention: abusive relationships. This book, at times, was hard to read, because the writer did such a good job of creating the illusion that Cole was an amazing boyfriend. (I didn't trust him, though. Not when you know what Bitter End is about.) This is a book in which you share an emotional journey with the main character.

I can't wait to see what Jennifer Brown comes up with next! I have read and been rather impacted by both her books. She is a wonderful edition to the authors of the YA world. She writes about important topics in a realistic way, and you're very able to get into the characters' heads. She is an author to watch.

No comments: