Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

The Sky Is Everywhere
The Sky is Everywhere
Author: Jandy Nelson
Published by Dial
Pages: 272
Release Date: March 9th 2010
Source: Library
My Rating: 5/5 Stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life - and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.

This remarkable debut is perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Francesca Lia Block. Just as much a celebration of love as it is a portrait of loss, Lennie's struggle to sort her own melody out of the noise around her is always honest, often hilarious, and ultimately unforgettable.


My Review:
Goodness gracious, this is one heck of a read! I absolutely adored The Sky Is Everywhere. This is a book that really stuck to me, and probably always will.

Oh goodness, the writing! I LOVED Jandy Nelson's writing. So, if she publishes any other books, I will be the first one in the store to buy them. Her writing was one thing that really made up this book. I loved how flowing and lyrical it was.....how she was able to create such a unique atmosphere. This book has a very different vibe to it. (In a good way!) You can definitely tell that she is a poet throughout the novel, not only because of the poems, but because of her writing style. I think that the poems at the start of each chapter were one of my favorite parts of the book. The Sky Is Everywhere has writing that certainly came from the heart.

The characters were absolutely wonderful. I adored them. First of all, the boys. Oh, how I love fictional boys. I have crushes on so many. They are all my Prince Charmings. And this book was no exception. Toby and Joe. Wow! Yummy....I totally fell for them. I also appreciated how they were both so well developed characters and how it was clear overtime that they were each drive by a particuliar emotion. Lennie was a main character that I really appreciated. In some ways, she reminded me of myself. She was such an easy character to connect to. Her grief was something that was well written, very realistic, and hard to read. She was unique, and there were so many great things about her that really defined her as a character, parts of her personality, her job, her favorite book. She's an unforgettable character. (But the boys are more unforgettable!)
There were so many things that made this book an amazing read for me. But I did love the plot. Amazingly pieced together. There were so many fantastic events that happend during this event. There were many times where I sat there going......"HOLY WOW.....that totally just happend!" Jandy Nelson, you are one creative lady.

The Sky Is Everywhere is such a unique book. It also took me a long time to write this review. I had to get my thoughts in order. It's the type of book that you have to finish and leave time to jsut really think.  I have a feeling this review is really jumbled, in which I apologize. Why? I adored this book.  (Thank you, Captain Obvious.) I could never sort it into just one category, it is so many different genres and different pieces inside itself....does that even make sense? Anyways, a very unforgettable book. You need to read it. Buy your own copy. In hardcover. It deserves a big WOW of a star!

No comments: