Saturday, October 8, 2011

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink

Prophecy of the Sisters (Prophecy of the Sisters, #1)

Prophecy of the Sisters
Author: Michelle Zink
Prophecy of the Sisters #1
Other Titles in Series: Guardian of the Gate, Circle of Fire
Published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: August 1st 2009
My Rating: 5/5 Stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
An ancient prophecy divides two sisters-

One good...

One evil...

Who will prevail?

Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets.

Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust.

They just know they can't trust each other.


My Review:
This book is so good. There is just simply no better way to put it. The short and sweet answer is the best for this book. Filled with majestic details of the late 19th century and magical intrigue, this is not a book to skip out on.

I originally read Prophecy of the Sisters more than a year and a half ago, but while scanning my shelves, I realized I completely missed reviewing this one. Naturally, I had to go back and reread it; so now I can put my review up. I have to say, it was just as good the second time as it was the first.

I loved Prophecy of the Sisters from the beginning. There is something almost gothic about this book. It's filled with rich, historic details that took my breath away. The atmosphere that was created in this novel was one of my favorite things about it.

I also was a big fan of the plot. I enjoyed entwining the mystery of the prophecy alongside Lia. The scenes in the otherworld specifically spoke to me, though the entire prophecy with the keys was something awesome. I feel as if there is still so much more to learn about in the prophecy, though, so I will eagerly rush to the second and third titles in the series!

Lia Milthorpe was a wonderful narrator. I really enjoyed reading from her perspective, though I think I liked the other characters more. James was kinda swoon-worthy in my opinion. There was something dark and twisted about Alice, but that's what made her such an interesting character. Sonia, Luisa, and Henry were also wonderful additions to Prophecy of the Sisters.

I can't think of anything else to say, other than read this book. I would recommend it to people who enjoyed A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray, or maybe even Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins, if you like the historical fiction aspect. But if you haven't read Prophecy of the Sisters yet, I urge you to. Guardian of the Gate, here I come!

No comments: