Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Had Very Strong Emotions About

Today I am participating in Top Ten Tuesday (TTT,) hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish. Basically, it;s a meme occuring every Tuesday, in which you check out The Broke and the Bookish for the topic of your Top Ten Tuesday, and then compose a list of the top ten books (or top ten authors in some cases) that would make up your list. The Broke and the Bookish even have a list of older TTTs and topics for upcoming ones. Head over to there blog to learn more and sign up!


1. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins - Something to do with The Hunger Games will probably end up on every TTT list in some way. (Unless it's a list of books I didn't like.)  I cry buckets at the end of Mockingjay when a certain character dies and I still feel completely empty when I finish this trilogy. (I've read it at least 9 times.)
2. Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling - Childhood favorite and still one of my favorites. I reread this series at least once a year. Enough said.

3. House of Night Series by P.C. & Kristin Cast - I only got up to book five, and while I was reading them, I thought they were okay, but to be honest, after some mulling over, I HATE this series. I felt like I was losing brain cells while I was reading it, and the characters have to be the worst characters I have ever seen in a book.



4. Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys - This book made me cry so many times. I cried at page 20, I cried at page 50, I sobbed at the end. You get the picture. This is a hard book to read, but it is a must.

5. The Help by Kathryn Stockett - This book is a book I am passionate about. I also cried reading this one. I recommend to every person I meet.

6. Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King - I really thought I'd like this book. But sadly, I did not. I was so frustrated with it many times that I sincerely considered throwing it across the room. The entire plot lead up to something creepy and random in my opinion, not to mention that this book was a teensy bit disturbing at times. (For me, at least.)

7. Skake Hands With the Devil by Lieutenant Gen. Romeo Dallaire - Romeo has an accent on the e, but blogger won't let me do it, so I apologize. This was also a hard book to read. Okay, I am technically still reading it, but I have started crying so many times. This book is hard to read, but it is also a must.  

8. Other Words For Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal - I read this book I few months ago and was absolutely wonderstruck by it. I feel as if it was the perfect story about first love with the most amazing characters. I don't think I have ever been able to relate to a character on the level I did to Ari.
Blood Red Road (Dustlands, #1)
9. Blood Red Road by Moira Young - This was one of those books that you want to gush about for hours, jump up and down around your room, and hug the book to your chest tightly.

Divergent (Divergent, #1)10. Divergent by Veronica Roth - Ditto from the one above. An excellent debut.




What books did you have strong emotions about? Leave me a link to your TTT in the comments!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I have enjoyed the House of Night books that I've read, but I have to agree with you that they aren't great works of literature. That's why I read them when I don't want to think about anything!

I've made the decision to skip Please Ignore Vera Dietz after looking at in the library a few times - based on your description, it seems like I made the right decision!

Here's my list.

Sandie @Teen Lit Rocks said...

Love your picks. We have some overlap, but I am particularly interested by a book I haven't read but my husband has -- "Shake Hands With the Devil." I read Philip Gourevitch's take on Rwanda and am not sure I can read another book about it, but my husband was similarly affected by "Shake Hands With the Devil." He didn't cry, but he kept talking and talking about it!