Thursday, November 11, 2010

Before I Fall



Before I Fall

Author: Lauren Oliver
Pages: 470
Rating: 5/5 stars
Why I liked it:
-How the book was so lyrically written
-The Character Development
-The breathless feeling it gives you

My Review:
BEFORE I FALL is absolutely breathtaking. Once I finished, I had to sit in silence and THINK for a few minutes. This book makes you hurt. It makes you ache. I felt so numb after, and raw. (Yes......I know that's dramatic......but it's the truth.)

Sam Kingston has it all. She and her three best friends are popular, getting first dibs on anything and everything they want at their high school. That changes when they're in a deadly car accident that claims their lives. Sam wakes up the next morning, after the car crash to the morning of the accident. She re-lives her last day seven times. Through those days, she'll discover she can make a differences, make the slightest changes to save herself as a memory,and re-develop the relationships she had lost. Because only when she can get her last day exactly right will she be able to move on.

Lauren Oliver is now one of my favourite writers. She really speaks to you through her writing, and her writing makes you think. Before I Fall is lyrically written,and full of the best descriptions. Lauren's writing really gets to you, forming a clenched fist around your heart. It's briliant, and I wish I could find the words to say more, but here's a quote that's on the back of the book, so you can understand how beautiful Lauren's writing is:

'"Maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you there's a tomorrow. Maybe for you there's one thousand tomorrows, or three thousand, or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, roll around it, let it slide like coins through you fingers. So much time you can waste it.
But for some of us there's only today. And the truth is, you never really know."'


Drawing onto the characters. I HATED them. I'm not saying they weren't excellently drawn, descriptive characters. They were. But Sam, Lindsay, Elody, and Ally were all......witches. I hated them from the beginning. I did love the fact that throughout the novel, espically nearing the last couple of the seven days, Sam begins to change. She understands, and tries to make things right. I love how she learns more about each of her friends, and about Juliet and Kent too. She realises things, and though I hated Lindsay, Elody, and Ally, I love how she just didn't walk away from them. She still loved them.

As for the rest, JUST READ IT. It's amazing. You will be gasping for breath. The plot, the characters, the writing, the emotions, every little thing is bang on. I LOVED it in an achingly beautiful way.

No comments: