Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Hollow


The Hollow
Author: Jessica Verday
Book #1 in The Hollow series
Pages: 513
My Rating: 4/5 stars

 Summary: (From Goodreads)
When Abbey's best friend, Kristen, vanishes at the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, everyone else is all too quick to accept that Kristen is dead and rumors fly that her death was no accident. Abbey goes through the motions of mourning her best friend, but privately, she refuses to believe that Kristen is really gone. Then she meets Caspian, the gorgeous and mysterious boy who shows up out of nowhere at Kristen's funeral, and keeps reappearing in Abbey's life. Caspian clearly has secrets of his own, but he's the only person who makes Abbey feel normal again...but also special.
Just when Abbey starts to feel that she might survive all this, she learns a secret that makes her question everything she thought she knew about her best friend. How could Kristen have kept silent about so much? And could this secret have led to her death? As Abbey struggles to understand Kristen's betrayal, she uncovers a frightening truth that nearly unravels her—one that will challenge her emerging love for Caspian, as well as her own sanity.

 My Review:

 The Hollow was an awesome read. The first thing I noticed was the great way the emotions in this novel were written. I could really feel Abbey's grief over Kristen's death, as well as her confusion, on Caspian, Kristen, and everything else. The author did an amazing job of displaying all the emotions in this novel, which made the novel even more engaging.

 The characters were good characters. Jessica Verday, the author, did focus on alot of little things about the characters, though. At the same time, I did love the characters. Abby was an awesome main character, since you could really feel her emotions. I know this is strange, but I thought her hobbies were neat! Perfume making and visiting the graveyard.  And I have a crush on Caspian, just like Abbey! Caspian was so mysterious. As for the other characters, some are basically mentioned alot, but never appear (such as Kristen, since she is dead,) and the others just have small roles, but they did come out with a shocking surprise.

 I loved the mysterey in this novel! Everything has a tad bit of mysterey, whether about Abbey's constant visits to the graveyard, the legend, the characters, Kristen's death............everything! It was my favorite aspect of the book.

 I first picked up this novel because I liked the idea of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," and how it was actually set in the town. This book isn't five stars, though, because of the plot. Nothing really happend until around 500 pages in. You do find things out, but..........everything was so anticlimatic. I'm not saying it wasn't good, though! It was a great read. The twist at the end, and what the author chose to write about the characters, and the legend was fantastic. There was no way I could have guessed that. You definitely aren't left empty handed, but there is still so much to know! There's more to know about Sleepy Hollow, the legend, Caspian, Kristen and her death, as well as the mysterious "D." I hope more than anything that we will learn more about "D" in the next book, since he was always shadowed by mysterey, and the author only gave you a glimpse on him, through diary entries.

 The Hollow was a great read, but I hope it was setting up something big for the next book. I really want to find out alot more. I have a feeling that there is more to Abbey and Caspian's story, as well as the legend itself. I hope, acutally, I just KNOW that The Haunted, book two in this trilogy, is going to be awesome.

No comments: