Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Wish


Wish
Author: Alexandra Bullen
Pages: 336
My Rating: 3/5 stars

My Review:
 Broken-hearted Olivia Larsen has just moved to San Fransisco after the death of her twin sister Violet. All Olivia wants is her best friend and sister back. That's exactly what she gets when a magic dress with the power to grant wishes arrives on her doorstep. With Violet back, Olivia can take anything, even if Olivia is the only one who can see her. They soon to discover that their are two more magical dresses to wish on. But events change Olivia's joy, and she realises she needs to learn how to live, and love life again. Wish asks the question: If you could wish for anything.........what would you wish for?

  Wish was a great book at the start, and I was nicely surprised! I enjoyed the first bit of the novel, and the idea about the magic dresses. I thought it was so neat, as Wish is not your typical "three wishes" type of book, but I also have debating feeling on it.

  I'llget over the problems I had with this book. I really didn't like Olivia. Sure she can be grief stricken after the death of her sister, and resign herself, but even when Violet's back, nuh uh. She never sticks up for herself, and though I loved her sisterly-relationship with Violet, she was very needy. When she bothered to speak up for herself, most of the things were pointless. The other thing I didn't like about her was that she was always trying to impress the uber-popular Calla. Calla was an okay character, but nothing special. I had no idea why Olivia ever wanted to be friends with her, or what Soren saw in Olivia. Besides that, I was never clear what Olivia was thinking or how she was feeling.

 Violet was an enjoyable character, though. She seemed so care free and always seemed to just want to lie back and have fun. She seemed like Olivia's main support. The other character are enjoyable, but nothing special.

 The setting in San Fransisco was interesting, and I thought the author did a good job of describing it. I would love to just bask in the warm glow of the city's peers, which is something that is feautred in Wish.

 On the topic of the magic dresses, they were very charming and fun to read about! The middle of this book was quite boring and seemed to drag on a bit, and the idea of the magic dresses kept me reading. They seemed so magical, but more of a light and fluffy type of magic book!

 I'm glad I read the whole thing, because the ending did not dissapoint. It was again, charming, and I liked how it depended on Olivia's ability to change and learn how to live again.

 Overall, this book was pretty good, but nothing spectacular. I did have a few issues. Wish is more of a lighter read, and I would describe it as FUN.

No comments: