Monday, January 10, 2011

Revolution

Revolution
Author: Jennifer Donnelly
Pages: 472
My Rating: 5/5 stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

Jennifer Donnelly, author of the award-winning novel A Northern Light, artfully weaves two girls’ stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love. Revolution spans centuries and vividly depicts the eternal struggles of the human heart.


My Review:
 I am in awe. Complete, and utter, awe. I loved Revolution. I found it so horrifying, tragic, and emotional. Revolution was definitely a book that got me alot more interested in the French Revolution, and I would recommend picking it up.

 When I started this book, I was leaning towards thinking it was a 4 star rating. It was good, but definitely does not measure up to the rest of the book. I was never tempted to put it down, though. Overtime, I really started to enjoy it.

 This book was an awesome roller coaster ride of emotions. I found myself emotional, and wanting to cry at some points, which is rare for me. I found emotion, especially sadness, in both Alexandrine, the girl from the French Revolution (who the main character, Andi, finds and reads the diary of,) and Andi, the main character.

 I also loved and hated how the horrors of the French Revolution were so vivid and horrifying. I felt like I was actually there. The only problem I had with Revolution, though, was that the writing style did not change much between Alexandrine's diary entries in the 18th century, and Andi's present day narration. It wasn't a major flaw, but I thought that there wasn't much of a difference.

Overall, Revolution was an emotional book that was truely fascinating, with intersting characters, and an awesome take on the French Revolution. It comes highly recommended from me.

No comments: