Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr

Darkest Mercy
Author: Melissa Marr
Wicked Lovely #5 (The Final Book!)
Pages: 336
My Rating: 5/5 stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 
The Summer King is missing; the Dark Court is bleeding; and a stranger walks the streets of Huntsdale, his presence signifying the deaths of powerful fey.
Aislinn tends to the Summer Court, searching for her absent king and yearning for Seth. Torn between his new queen and his old love, Keenan works from afar to strengthen his court against the coming war. Donia longs for fiery passion even as she coolly readies the Winter Court for battle. And Seth, sworn brother of the Dark King and heir to the High Queen, is about to make a mistake that could cost his life.
Love, despair, and betrayal ignite the Faery Courts, and in the final conflict, some will win . . . and some will lose everything.
The thrilling conclusion to Melissa Marr's New York Times bestselling Wicked Lovely series will leave readers breathless.

My Review:
 It's over. This series is over. I can't believe it. But Darkest Mercy was beautiful. It was the best finale ever, and this was easily the best Wicked Lovely book.

 I love Melissa Marr. I love her characters-they are so easy to love and you really feel their emotions.  Sometimes I was crying for them, sometimes I was mad for them, screaming in rage, or feeling extremely happy.  She has loads of talent as a writer, and she has the unique ability to torture her characters. It's a hard thing to read when an author tortures her character, and from what I've written on my own, it's a hard thing to do. 

 Darkest Mercy (as well as the rest of the Wicked Lovely series) has the best cast of characters. They all will always remain in my heart, each having their own special spot.  In this book, I enjoyed the characters more than ever before. I think that's because they reacted differently in Darkest Mercy than in previous novels, they were going through a lot more, each had their own torture moments, and their very own endings. Out of all the characters in these books, Keenan and Donia have always been my absolute favorites. I completely fell in love with them in the first one, and I have loved them ever since. They both make lots of choices in this book, some that will leave you sighing, and others that will leave you crying or frustrated. I also enjoyed Aislinn and Seth more in this book; I loved how they twisted into the plot, and they seemed so much stronger and more complex characters. Niall kinda went off the rails in Darkest Mercy, and I felt really bad for him, but I was also very interested to see which directions he would go in.

 There's also a very interesting character that makes an entry in this book. He's mentioned in the summery, and his name's Far Dorcha. I will not say anything about him, to leave a sense of mysterey and for fear of spoilery, but I thought he was a very deep, complex, and interesting character. Same with Ankou. Definitely enjoyed them.

 The plot was bang on. I raced through this book, trying to figure out what was going to happen, and before I knew it, I was staring at the last page. No matter how many times I willed myself to slow down, I kept reading and reading and reading. There were so many moments where I would get sweaty palms and my stomach would twist. There were moments of fear. I hope everyone will love the plot in Darkest Mercy just as much as I did.

 The ending. This was a beautiful series with a beautiful ending. You will be left wiping tears from your eyes, and I know you will all love it.  It's brilliant, and you see a closure for each character. See, Melissa Marr just has a thing with endings. No matter how each of her last four books end, whether they are sad, happy, romantic, or bittersweet......they are just enchanting. And Darkest Mercy's ending was the best of the best of the best. Seriously. I LOVED it. I couldn't think of a better ending.

 This series was gorgeous.  This is going to sound sappy, but....it'll remain in my heart forever.

1 comment:

P.E. said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel- er, felt. I'm a member of the Rath (WL fansite) so WL ending was so sad. The characters will forever stay with me. Especially Keenan. I cried so hard when I read DM. I also tried to stop, to slow down but no luck. I'm preparing for a reread though. This series will forever remain one of my favourites.

*I have to add, I really like your reviews!