Monday, February 21, 2011

Across the Universe

Across the Universe
Author: Beth Revis
Across the Universe #1
Pages: 400
My Rating: 5/5 stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

My Review:
 Across the Universe was a fantastic novel. I have been anticipating this book for months, and though it actually turned out a little differentely than I thought, it was still am-az-ing.

 The first thing you should know about this book is: it's not just sci-fi. Beth Revis is quite a talented writer, and you can tell in this book because she had elements from so many different genres; there's a bit of a murder mysterey, a romance, and dystopian. It is sci-fi also, and maybe the sci-fi is a little dominant, but you do notice the other bits and pieces of other genres in this book.

 I was also quite impressed by Beth Revis's writing. There were some very unique descriptions, and the process in which Amy was frozen are quite horrifying. They were quite vivid, like so many scenes and descriptions in this book. Beth Revis (I think) has an amazing writing career ahead of her.

 I thought this book would be a little different than it actually was. I knew that there was going to be other people on the ship Godspeed, but I wasn't aware that there would be that many people. There were also lots of crops and animals on the ship, which was something I also wasn't expecting. Overtime, I did grow interested, entertained and maybe even loved all of the ship.

 I also quite enjoyed the characters. There aren't very many to pick your favourites from, but I admired Amy for her bit of determination and her anger at the ship. I found Eldest quite infuriating, but who wouldn't?
Elder was a very interesting character, and I loved to read of how he would make choices, and how the plot would twist for him. But a character I found really interesting was Harley. I think he was unique, and I'm pretty sure he's my favorite character. What happens to him was bittersweet for me, but I think I actually liked it. It was perfect for him.

 In Across the Universe, I thought there was a bit of a crazy plot. There's plenty of surprises, and things keep twisting and turning. My breath definitely caught in my throat while reading. This book also draws out lots of emotions in you, and Beth Revis does a good job of thinking you're in the characters' shoes. I was angry and ready to yell and shout along with Amy and Elder, or swallow tears down my throat, and even cry a little.

A ship full of secrets indeed.

No comments: