Friday, March 4, 2011

Beastly

Beastly
Author: Alex Flinn
Pages: 304
Publisher: HarperTeen
My Rating: 4/5 stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 I am a beast.
A beast!
Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll, stay this way forever ruined unless I can break the spell.
Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly...beastly.


My Review:
 Well, since the movie adaptation of Beastly was released in theatres today, I thought I'd post my review for the book. I have yet to see the movie, but I hope it'll be awesome, just like the book.

 Where to start? There were so many aspects of this book that I loved. I loved the rose garden Adrian built, the winter wonderland getaway, the modern day twist of Beauty and the Beast, and, of course, the characters.

 And speaking of them....wow. Just, wow. Woah. They were such layered characters. They were wrapped in som any emotions and always complex, but at the same time, easy to relate to. I found myself loving them....Adrian (Kyle), Lindy, and more.

 The book itslef was also a book of many layers. Sometimes it was dark, sometimes an epic love story, sometimes sad, or happy, or frustrating. I felt as if I had dived into the world the characters inhabit in this book, and I absolutely loved it. I also devoured this book pretty fast.

 There was also the fact that there was a twist on the classic tale Beauty and the Beast. First off,  kudos to Alex Flinn for making it an awesome, entertaining, romantic modern-day re-telling. The author really did a great job. But I think at some points, (this was mostly me, I set myself up,) I was expecting a smidge more of a twist on Beauty and the Beast.  I just found there were parts where I seemed like it was following the exact exact lines of the original fairy tale. But, never the less, there was also some creative moments, and I never stopped enjoying the book.

Overall, Beastly was a beautiful novel that really brought light to a great message, which the author constructed and wrote gorgeously.

No comments: