Saturday, March 5, 2011

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Nevermore
Author: Kelly Creagh
Pages: 543
Nevermore #1
Publisher: Antheneum
My Rating: 5/5 stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game.

Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind.

Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

His life depends on it.


My Review:
 Nevermore was a wow book. I loved it.....and I can't wait for more. That ending.....urghhh! When I finished Nevermore, I seriously had to sit there and think. The ending was pretty heartbreaking, a bit of a cliffhanger, and I am desperately clinging to life until the next book comes out.

Okay. My minute of being melodramatic is over. Nevermore is a seductive, addicting world. I was instantly pulled in, and I found it close to impossible to withdraw myself from it. First off, I really loved how it was based on Edgar Allan Poe's works....it just added the best, I don't know, feel or touch to it. But seriously, between the plot and the world Nevermore centers around, it freaked me out and I thought about it all night. It was a big scary thrill, and I advise anybody who is on the skittish side (like me,) to not read it right before bed, or under the covers with a flashlight. With the creepy touch mixed with a bit of a gothic feel, this book made sparks fly.

 I know other people have made this connection, but I recommend this book to fans of The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff. Between the world of Nevermore and the world of The Replacement, I definitely saw similarities. At the same time, they were both very original, and equally intriguing.

 Isobel Lanley is one of the more popular girls, and a cheerleader. I enjoyed reading about her, especially her interactions with Varen. He was something. I was very intrigued by him. And especially with Isobel, I am so glad that girl stood up for herself. The group/her so called "friends" at the start of Nevermore were just....toxic. I'm so glad she stood up for herself. And once she found a new friend......Gwen was awesome. She made me laugh, and added just that area of fun to this novel, so it wouldn't be all dark and dreary.

 Overall, Nevermore was quite an amazing, addicting book. It's quite a big one, and all 543 pages of it was filled with Kelly Creagh's awesome writing talent.

No comments: