Saturday, March 26, 2011

Haven by Kristi Cook

Haven
Author: Kristi Cook
Pages: 416
Published by Simon Pulse
My Rating: 4/5 stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 One month into her junior year, sixteen-year-old Violet McKenna transfers to the Winterhaven School in New York’s Hudson Valley, inexplicably drawn to the boarding school with high hopes. Leaving Atlanta behind, she’s looking forward to a fresh start--a new school, and new classmates who will not know her deepest, darkest secret, the one she’s tried to hide all her life: strange, foreboding visions of the future.

But Winterhaven has secrets of its own, secrets that run far deeper than Violet’s. Everyone there--every student, every teacher--has psychic abilities, 'gifts and talents,' they like to call them. Once the initial shock of discovery wears off, Violet realizes that the school is a safe haven for people like her. Soon, Violet has a new circle of friends, a new life, and maybe even a boyfriend--Aidan Gray, perhaps the smartest, hottest guy at Winterhaven.

Only there’s more to Aidan than meets the eye--much, much more. And once she learns the horrible truth, there’s no turning back from her destiny. Their destiny. Together, Violet and Aidan must face a common enemy--if only they can do so without destroying each other first.


My Review:
Haven was a great book, though I did have some minor issues with it.

 First of all, I'll start by saying that though I did have some small issues with it, it was still a book worth reading, and I definitely enjoyed it. The first thing thing that I instantly loved about Haven was the setting. I have a bit of a thing for novels with settings of boarding schools...you get an awesome roommate who can become your BFF, there's no parents, and maybe you can even find your dream guy. Not to mention the spooky and supernatural setting that normaly come along with it. I loved the boarding school that Violet attends, Winterhaven, as it had such a spooky atmosphere and I was always on the tips of my toes trying to figure out where all the supernatural vibes were coming from!

 I also loved how there was so much mysterey surrounding the novel and the plot...it took me a while before I could figure anything out. Though, in the plot, I did find it was easier to figure out...not obvious, but it didn't just all of a sudden smack me in the face. But the mysterey was nice...I did always feel that there was more to be figured out.

But, alas, here's where my problem comes in. Once you figured all that secrecy, everything was just...unoriginal. Kristi Cook did do a good job of keeping me bouncing up and down....until you did figure out all that mysterey of Aidan and Violet. I mean, seriously? It just fell straight to unoriginal, and I lost a lot of my enthusiam.

 But I did love all the powers that (most of) the school possessed. Learning all about the telekinetic and whats-it power was so awesome! It was fascinating and down-right intriguing!

I did enjoy this novel...Kristi Cook did deliver a very interesting and entertaining novel...even with that one flaw. You should pick it up if you are a fan of the supernatural, the paranormal, or fantasy in general. (Or of boarding school settings!) You might like it if you were a fan of Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins.

No comments: