Thursday, March 17, 2011

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Linger
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1
Published by Scholastic
Pages: 360
My Rating: 4/5 stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabel, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.

My Review:
 Linger was an awesome book. I know I gave it 4 stars, but it's more than that. Not quite a five, or a four and a half, but a 4.4. But I don't do ratings like that, I just thought I'd mention it in my review.

 Anyways, the first thing I noticed about Linger that I loved was something I loved in Shiver too: the writing. Maggie Stiefvater has impressed me again with another one of her lyrically written book with gorgeous descriptions. I think the beautifulness of the writing stood out more in Linger than the first book, Shiver.

 I also am a big fan of the characters, specifically Isobel and Cole. Don't get me wrong, I did love Sam and Grace, but I found they both annoyed me at times. I think that's why this book isn't a five, because there were definitely times when they got on my nerves. But I did enjoy how Grace really stood up for herself in this book, and got a bit more of a spine. I'm glad she got to be the disobeying teenager, finally. Then there's also the case that Sam and Grace probably annoyed me because there seemed to be parts when they moped around.

 Then the author turned to Isobel and Cole. Yeesh, they are interesting characters that I loved toread about. I think I enjoyed all the characters for how well they were created, but particuliarly Isobel and Cole. I think you'll love them if you read this book.

 I also enjoyed how the author, Maggie Stiefvater, had a four person narration system going on. I loved to read in the opinions of Isobel, Cole, Sam, and Grace!

 Linger was a great book, with a bit of a heartbreaking ending. These books don't include a whole lot of action, but I found my heart pumping in the last 40 pages or so, and aching for the characters. Then I had to sit there and think for a good half an hour before I could do anything. (I was also in a bit of a haze after that.) Yes, Linger was THAT good.

No comments: