Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Liar Society by Lisa & Laura Roecker

The Liar Society (The Liar Society, #1)

The Liar Society
Authors: Lisa & Laura Roecker
Pages: 361
Published by Sourcebooks Fire
My Rating: 5/5 stars
My Grade: A-

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 Kate Lowry didn't think dead best friends could send e-mails. But when she gets an e-mail from Grace, she’s not so sure.

To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
Sent: Sun 9/14 11:59 PM
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)
Kate,
I'm here…
sort of.
Find Cameron.
He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell.
They'll hurt you.

Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. But secrets haunt the halls of her elite private school. Secrets people will do anything to protect. Even if it means getting rid of the girl trying to solve a murder...


My Review:
What is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of The Liar Society? Awesome! I love this book, and I know you will too.

The Liar Society centers around Kate, who's best friend died the year before, but then she starts to doubt that Grace ever died, when she get s an e-mail from her. From there, Kate does on a whole bunch of crazy stunts with Liam (the hottie,) and her geeky love-struck neighbour Seth to find out the truth behind the e-mails Grace has been sending her, and her death. The Liar Society is an awesome book filled with mystery, which was refreshing for me, since there aren't that many books in YA literature that center around mysteries. I love mysteries, I was a huge Nancy Drew junkie as a kid, so returning to the world of mystery was welcoming.

I was quite impressed with Lisa and Laura's talent as writers......they made Kate's grief over Grace's death fly off the pages. I was carrying that grief too, and projecting all of Kate's emotions was well done.

Speaking of Kate.....how awesome was she? I really enjoyed her as a main character, she seemed so real and like a regular girl......yet so determined and unique at the same time. She had so much courage and character in her, which made her an awesome protagonist.

The other characters seemed to fit into this story perfectly, too. Seth was quite hilarious, and I did enjoy reading about him. From the flash backs and Kate's thoughts of Grace, she seemed quite a mysterious but likeable character. I won't forget Liam, the "hot bad-boy" who I totally fell for! Who could not? He just added that special hotness to this novel!

This may be a mystery, but I had some giggle fests! I was actually thinking this would just be a light and fluffy quick read, but it turned out to be a dark but not too dark novel. It was kept light at times by the characters, and all the times I laughed out loud! (Which were a lot of times!)

You do not want to miss this one! The Liar Society is a must read that you have to pick up today!

No comments: