Saturday, August 6, 2011

Chime by Franny Billingsley

Chime

Chime
Author: Franny Billingsley
Pages: 361
Published by Dial
Release Date: March 17th 2011
Source: Library
My Rating: 4/5 Stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 Before Briony's stepmother died, she made sure Briony blamed herself for all the family's hardships. Now Briony has worn her guilt for so long it's become a second skin. She often escapes to the swamp, where she tells stories to the Old Ones, the spirits who haunt the marshes. But only witches can see the Old Ones, and in her village, witches are sentenced to death. Briony lives in fear her secret will be found out, even as she believes she deserves the worst kind of punishment.

Then Eldric comes along with his golden lion eyes and mane of tawny hair. He's as natural as the sun, and treats her as if she's extraordinary. And everything starts to change. As many secrets as Briony has been holding, there are secrets even she doesn't know.


My Review:
Chime by Franny Billingsley can only be described in one word: wicked. Absolutely wicked. In a good way. This is one wickedly smashing read.

I think my absolute favorite thing about this book was the atmosphere it projected. That seems to be one of my favorite things in books lately. But I think this book tops it. The atmosphere was engrossing, simply phenomenal, creative, and just plain weird. (In a good way!) I loved how witches and the Swamp collided into the atmosphere, creating not only an original and fascinating book but a great storyline.

I did quite enjoy reading about the characters. Briony, Eldric, Rose. They sure were completely wacky and new! I think the character that I enjoyed the most was Rose. She was definitely mysterious, and I knew from the beginning that she knew things. She was the most fascinating character, with her random comments and beliefs about Briony.  My one issue in this book does involve Briony, though. I found her whole "I am wicked and terrible" thing quite tiring. It was great at the start, but it got old pretty fast.

Chime's plot was an incredible thrill ride, let me tell you. I found myself thrown by the dips and dives, specifically at the end! I never saw those last few surprises coming! Big shockers!

Overall, Chime is a wicked novel. And of course, in the best way possible. I would definitely pick it up if you are looking for a read that is a little out of the ordinary.

No comments: