Thursday, September 29, 2011

Jane by April Lindner

Jane

Jane
Author: April Lindner
Published by Poppy
Release Date: October 11th 2010
Pages: 373
My Rating: 4/5 Stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
What if Jane Eyre fell in love with a rock star?

Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, a world-famous rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance. But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is soon tested by an agonizing secret from his past. Torn between her feelings for Nico and his fateful secret, Jane must decide: Does being true to herself mean giving up on true love? An irresistible romance interwoven with a darkly engrossing mystery, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers.


My Review:
Jane was an engrossing and atmospheretic read. I read this book in one day, and I have to say, it was time well spent. I am quite interested in what April Lindner comes up with next!

I read Jane Eyre, the classic by Charlotte Bronte quite a few months back, and enjoyed it. It's definitely a read that requires quite a bit of effort to stay focused, but I am glad I pursued it. I can definitely say that if you did like Jane Eyre, you will love this modern day twist version of it.

The one thing I really enjoyed about Jane was the atmosphere. I am impressed that the author was able to keep it so close to the original atmosphere in Jane Eyre. I definitely felt as if I was reading the classic again (in a good way,) with a few twists. That very creepy, mysterious, but passionate atmosphere was very present in Jane.

Jane as a character was also something that was very simililar to the original. She was a more modern Jane Eyre, but I felt as if I was simply reading Jane Eyre in present day with the type of character that Jane was. She was very courageous and hard working, and I feel that she's a character that is to be admired. I also loved reading abotu Nico! I loved how Mr. Rochester was a rock star! I was swept up in the charming situation. Bibi was such a creepy but sad character, and I felt as if I always wanted to know more about her throughout the entire novel, though you never do.
I feel as if I don't have much to say on this book. Overall, Jane was a really good read for me. I would recommend it to fans of the original Jane Eyre, but also people who aren't fans of it or maybe haven't read it.

No comments: