Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wings

For starters, Hello! How are you? I hope you're good.......and in you I don't really know who, because, well, I don't think anybody has EVER viewed this blog. I haven't been doing it for very long, but....nobody has viewed it. But that's okay!!!! It's okay with me.

I just finished reading I AM NUMBER FOUR by Pittacus Lore (did I spell his name right???) A review for it will come soon. Check out my REVIEWS page, and MY STAR RATING page. I'm sorry, though, 'cause the reviews page is soooooooooooo long, because I haven't fingured out how to organize/operate it. YET. I will. I vow to do that. Now you probably want to see my actual review for today. 

Wings by Aprilynne Pike (I've read the second too, so my next blog post will be on Spells (the 2nd book) and The Dark Divine. 

Wings
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Pages:
Book #1 of the Wings series
My Rating: 4/5 stars
My Favourite Things about Wings:
-The mythology of the faerie
-The Setting
-The Description

My Review:

  What an excellent debut that Aprilynne Pike has crafted! I was enthralled with Wings.

I picked a paperback of this book up at a local bookstore on a shopping trip.

I loved Wings from the first page right up to the very last sentence. I thought it had amazing narration, as well as being woven with wonderful mythology, amazing description and a very neat take on faeries.

The amazing description was the first thing that popped out to me. Aprilynne Pike describes everything using wonderful, colourful words. I thought this book had a charming quality of magic.

But, wow, the take on faeries. Never once, until now, have I come across a faerie world where faeries are referred to as plants. I thought it was actually quite outstanding, and frankly, cool. I mean, I do see things in common with other faerie books, but the things I noticed were all things I loved. The faerie courts are different in each book and same with this one.

The characters were intriguing, especially Tamani. He was one of my favorites because he seems very mysterious, but also quiet and polite. I really don’t know if I’m on Team Tamani or Team David. I like both of them for very different reasons. As the series goes on, I will end up with a decision, and even though I like both, I am leaning more towards Tamani. I’m really hoping the next book will focus on him a little more.

Laurel was a great main character. With her blossom that she gets, I am surprised at how well she dealt with it, since she had no idea what was going on. I can relate to her in the way that she shied away from telling her parents, and it took some consideration to tell David. In a situation like this and I have been through a couple, (very minor, though, nothing like this of course), I wouldn’t tell my parents either and it would take me a while to spit it out to a friend.

As for the plot: I really enjoyed the plot, and the story enfolds well to it. I was not a fan of the end, where they are taken by the trolls. Though the plot does well along the lines of this, I found the scenes with the trolls unclimatic. That’s probably just me, though, because the overall ending was pretty good, and I am excited for more. The trolls were a good thing to add to the mythology, but they weren’t my favourite.
As for the gate to Avalon, I loved the idea. I didn’t get to read much about it, so I hope there will be more about it in Spells, the sequel. I always love the idea of faerie gates or magical gates, and this seemed so mysterious.


Overall, I thought Wings was a very well written, entertaining and charming take on the mythology of the faerie world.


~Ciao for now!

No comments: