Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spells by Aprilynne Pike

Spells
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Wings #2
Published by HarperTeen
Pages: 359
My Rating: 5/5 stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 Six months have passed since Laurel saved the gateway to the faerie realm of Avalon. Now she must spend her summer there, honing her skills as a Fall faerie. But her human family and friends are still in mortal danger--and the gateway to Avalon is more compromised than ever.

When it comes time to protect those she loves, will she depend on David, her human boyfriend, for help? Or will she turn to Tamani, the electrifying faerie with whom her connection is undeniable?


My Review:
Spells was an incredible sequel, even better than Wings! I enjoyed every aspect of this book. This was a strong sequel that fit this series perfectly.  If you are a faerie fan, I can guarantee you'll love this series.

 I loved the faerie lore in Wings and Spells. Probably more in Spells, actually. I have never heard faeries referred to as plants, which was extremley intriguing, and still is. Spells surpasses the information that was in Wings about faerie. I absolutely loved how a good portion of this book was set in Avalon. I loved everything about that place; from the descriptions, all the information that was packed about faeries in Laurel's visit, and, of course, the characters. I loved everything. Everything! Avalon was such a magical realm that I lo-ved. I enjoyed learning about each of the four faerie types, and I enjoyed the parts with references to Shakespeare's plays.

 Just to get this out now, I am Team Tamani. He's my favourite character in this series; he's more of a complex and layered character, not to mention interesting. I'm not so much of a fan of David; he quite annoys me. I hope Laurel ends up with Tamani! Side characters such as Chelsea were hilarious, and I just loved reading about them.

 There was also plenty of action at the end. It was still about the trolls, but I think Aprilynne Pike upped the scale by making it a very blood-pumping ending!

 Overall, a sequel better than the first book. I can't wait to see what the author has in store for us in the third book Illusions, especially after she added all those bits and pieces of mysterey, as well as a pretty mysterious character.

No comments: