Monday, March 21, 2011

Torment by Lauren Kate

Torment
Author: Lauren Kate
Fallen #2
Published by Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pages: 452
My Rating: 4/5 stars

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 Hell on earth. That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel. It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts - immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students -Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn't told her everything. He's hiding something - something dangerous. What if Daniel's version of the past isn't actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else? The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies.


My Review:
Torment was definitely better than Fallen. Fallen annoyed me at parts. (Who am I kidding? At parts...a lot.) It just didn't seem very original. But I'm glad I persisted and decided to read Torment. I feel as if this series is finally morphing into it's own thing, judging by the ending of this novel. (When I read it, I gave a big cheer, mostly because I finally read something in this series that was unexpected!)

 Though I enjoyed Torment, I am going to knock off a star for Luce and the narration. Luce is an empty shell. Especially with the third person narration, I felt no emotion whatsoever. I actually would like this series more if it was told in first person. But I do not, DO NOT, see Luce as a strong character at all. She's flat, and that's that.

 But then there's the most awesome cast of secondary characters. I loved the secondary characters in Fallen, and I loved all the ones in Torment, with intriguing new editions, as well as ones from the previous book. But they all had me in fits of giggles, or gave me a burst of speed in flipping pages, because I wanted to hear more and more about them! Miles (oh, he swept me off my feet,) Arianne, Shelby, Dawn, Jasmine, and more were all awesome! My favorite scene in Torment consisted of all the side characters from this novel, and plenty from Fallen. They were having Thanksgiving at Luce's house, and the scene had me absolutely giddy with giggles!

 Overall, a sequel that passed my expectations. They were on the low side, because of Fallen, but Torment got them a little up again....I am definitely looking forward to the next book, Passion. I can't wait to se all about Luce and Daniel's past lives!

2 comments:

Jules said...

I've been meaning to read this series, when I get a moment to squeeze them in.

Great review

Jules

Laurel said...

Thanks! I hope you enjoy them...I wouldn't say there are really great, but I found that they were worth reading.

:D