Thursday, June 9, 2011

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2)

Demonglass
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Published by Hyperion Books CH
Pages: 359
Hex Hall #2
Other Titles in Series: Hex Hall
My Rating: 5/5 Stars
My Grade: A

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?


My Review:
YIKES! Demonglass was everything I wanted for this sequel, and with a dash of pure awesomness.


**Warning: If you have not read Hex Hall, this review is spoilery on the Hex Hall front. But there will be no spoilers from Demonglass, I assure you.** In the second installement in the Hex Hall series, we meet Sophie back at Hecate, where she continues to attend, despite the knowledge of her being a demon. She has not gone through the Removal yet, though she plans to. Everything changes when her Dad shows up, to take her to London for the summer, where she'll spend time with him and the other Council members. So, along with Jenna and Cal, she travels to London to spend the summer with her father.

It was definitely time for me to read a good old-fashioned magic book. Okay, I know, it's not really old fashioned, and Sophie's a demon, so that doesn't really equal the witch-and-wizard spell thing, but it actually does in some ways for Demonglass. I absolutely loved the magical sense and the awesome enchanting atmosphere in these novels, and it's something that

Sophie's just as much that witty and sarcastic character as in Hex Hall. She's not letting anybody push her over, no matter what. She's not going to let people stomp all over her, which is something I really admire about her. Then there were the two hotties, Archer and Cal. I really have no idea which one I like more. Some moments I was Team Cal, some moments Team Archer. Either way, I was completely smitten. Other characters such as Jenna, Daisy, Nick and Sophie's father were well-developed and colourful, which is something that always makes for a crazy good book.

When I read Hex Hall, I thought that Rachel Hawkins did a stellar job on the plot, and boy, she did it again with Demonglass. It's one of those reads where you never want it to end, and you think you're on page 100, but then you look down, and it's page 199. And then you want to cry because it feels like no time has past, even though it has. Just like in Hex Hall, the plot kept moving right along, and there were some craxy jump-out-of-your-seat plot twists. I definitely think the author has some talent in creating a highly entertaining plot.

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME. I forgot to say this book was awesome, didn't I?

No comments: