Friday, June 3, 2011

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

What Happened to Goodbye

What Happened to Goodbye
Author: Sarah Dessen
Pages: 402
Published by Viking
Release Date: May 10th 2011
My Rating: 4/5 stars
My Grade: B

Summary: (From Goodreads)
 Since her parents' bitter divorce, Mclean and her dad, a restaurant consultant, have been on the move - four towns in two years. Estranged from her mother and her mother's new family, Mclean has followed her dad in leaving the unhappy past behind. And each new place gives her a chance to try out a new persona: from cheerleader to drama diva. But now, for the first time, Mclean discovers a desire to stay in one place and just be herself - whoever that is. Perhaps her neighbor Dave, an academic superstar trying to be just a regular guy, can help her find out. Combining Sarah Dessen's trademark graceful writing, great characters, and compelling storytelling, What Happened to Goodbye is irresistible reading.

My Review:
If you didn't know, I am a big Sarah Dessen fan. Her books always tell such true stories with amazing characters, and once you finish, her books leave you with a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. What Happened to Goodbye was another great book from her, and I absolutely loved the idea of it, but I can't say it was my favorite.

Mclean has lived and moved around with her dad since her parents' divorce. Her mother remarried the rich coach of her fahter's favorite basketball team, and she chose to stay with her father, as he moves around from town to town for his job to fix up failing restaurants. In every town, Mclean reinvents herself, gets a new personality, new hobbies, a new name. But it hasn't been successful in the town she and her dad just moved to. I enjoyed Mclean as a main character; she was the type of character that it was easy to get insider her head and understand her situation. She wasn't really a character that I could relate to; but how Sarah Dessen practically made her walk off the page seems like she's your best friend.

As for the other characters, wow! I was pleasantly surprised by how strong I felt for all of them! I loved how I definitely had different outcomes of each of the characters once I finished the novel. It was very easy to connect with them on an emotional level, which is something I love about Sarah Dessen. And Dave. Another guy to fall in love with. Enough said!

I loved all the elements in this book. The restaurant-Luna Blu-was a great element of the book and really made it what it was.

I know this is a shorter review, and I normally go into more detail, but I really don't have much to say! It was not as good as some Sarah Dessen books, but you should go and pick it up! I really enjoyed it.

No comments: